south east asia and the pacific
ICSW SEAP Preparatory NGO Meeting and 13th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum November 2018
From 21-23 November 2018, the 13th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Social Welfare and Development, 14th SOMSWD, and 13th SOMSWD+3 took place in Singapore. The theme of this year's GO-NGO Forum was “Realising the ASEAN Enabling Masterplan 2025: Mainstreaming the Rights of Persons with Disabilities”.
In the context of the GO-NGO Forum, ICSW SEAP organized a Preparatory NGO Meeting on 20 November. It brought together ICSW members to (i) discuss the work plan of SEAP for 2019, (ii) formulate recommendations for ASEAN, NGOs and disabled people’s organizations (DPOs), and governments to be presented at the GO-NGO Forum, (iii) have an open discussion on social welfare and development issues and formulate recommendations for the agenda of the upcoming AMMSWD that will be hosted by Lao PDR in 2019 and the SOMSWD that will be hosted by the Philippines in 2020.
Recommendations for ASEAN, NGOs and DPOs, and governments, that were formulated during the Preparatory NGO Meeting, focused among others on engaging civil society and NGOs (in particular DPOs), building their capacity, and strengthening the implementation of the Enabling Masterplan.
The open discussion touched upon a variety of topics such as capacity building of NGOs in general, laws and measures of governments to support NGOs, the work of NGOs to meet SDGs and ASEAN Vision.
On 21 November, the Regional President, Mr. Chinchai Cheecharoen, participated in the GO-NGO Forum and presented the work of ICSW. He emphasized the importance of having the GO-NGO Forum which was set up by ICSW and ASEAN. The first GO-NGO Forum took place in 2006 in Bangkok, Thailand. He also presented the recommendations formulated by NGOs on 20 November. In the afternoon, there was a group discussion on children, working-age adults, and elderly with disabilities.
On 22 November, Mr. Chinchai Cheecharoen participated in the 14th SOMSWD meeting where results from the GO-NGO Forum were discussed. During this meeting Mr. Chinchai Cheecharoen urged SOMSWD to acknowledge the recommendations formulated by NGOs on 20 November.
Board Member National Council of Indonesia visits ICSW SEAP
On 27 November 2018, Dr. Puji Pujiono, board member of the Indonesian National Council on Social Welfare, visited ICSW SEAP to explore possible avenues for collaboration on social welfare and development issues in the region.
ICSW SEAP at Thailand Social Expo August 2018
The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security of Thailand, in collaboration with related ministries, initiated Thailand Social Expo 2018. From 3-5 August 2018, Thailand Social Expo 2018, under the theme “Brighter Future, Stronger People” was held for the first time in Thailand. The Social Expo offered social innovation including facility for the elder, OTOP (“One Tambon (sub-district) One Product”) and Bangkok brand products, social services, and seminars from specialists. Regional President, Mr. Chinchai Cheecharoen participated in different panels including the open ceremony, the second meeting for the network of Experts on Inclusive Entrepreneurship for ASEAN. He also acted as a speaker on the panel on Child Support Grant and Social Protection, Productive Welfare the Way Forward in Thai Society, and The Role of Third Sector in Thai Society and ASEAN.
12th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Strengthening Social Protection to Address Challenges of Ageing Societies
The ICSW SEAP participated in the 12th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum held on 17 October 2017 in Myanmar. The theme of the forum was “Strengthening Social Protection to Address Challenges of Ageing Societies”.
In his welcome address Union Minister of Myanmar Dr. Win Myat Aye underscored the importance of social protection schemes and encouraged inclusive discussion on social protection issues in the context of the priority theme of the Forum.
During the workshop, the NGO participants shared constructive models of partnership between governments and NGOs in addressing issues relating to the expansion of social protection policies and programs for the ageing population and how these can be further enhanced. The discussion revealed the growing importance of finding effective solutions to the social protection of older persons in the region, as well as the rich menu of existing approaches.
ICSW SEAP consolidated and presented points discussed during the workshop in the plenary session. It also presented the conclusions of the national seminar in Kuala Lumpur highlighting various approaches adopted by NGOs in partnership with their respective governments to address the opportunities and challenges of ageing.
11th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Strengthening Social Welfare Development in Pursuing ASEAN Community vision 2025
The 11th GO-NGO Forum held on the 24th September 2016 in Jakarta, Indonesia, was very effective and productive, discussing the theme “Strengthening Social Welfare Development in Pursuing ASEAN Community vision 2025”. The Forum has become an important platform to discuss the most acute issues of social-economic development, social policy and the welfare mix in the region, providing for a comparison of policy tools as well as of welfare outcomes. The ICSW was represented by Vice-President, Madam Khatijah Suleiman (the President of Malaysian Council of Rehabilitation). Her role was crucial in the preparation of the Forum. The regional Newsletter was also resurrected under her leadership. Recommendations focused on the implementation of the recommendations made in previous GO-NGO forums, along with new approaches. Acting as a co-convener ICSW brought together national member councils from the region and representatives of expert organisations.
10th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Empowering Older Persons in ASEAN
The 10th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum for Social Welfare and Development was held in Malaysia in September 2015. It was devoted to ageing, promotion of social protection, rights of older persons and measures to strengthen their resilience. The ICSW representative for the 10th GO-NGO forum was Vice-President, Madam Khatijah Suleiman, President of Malaysian Council of Rehabilitation. Her role was crucial in the preparation of the Forum, as well as in resurrecting the regional Newsletter. The recommendations from the Forum focused on implementation of the recommendations made in previous GO-NGO forums also charting new approaches. Acting as a co-convener ICSW brought together national member councils from the region and representatives of expert organisations.
9th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Social Protection Floor
The 9th GO-NGO Forum held on the 24 November, 2014 at Vientiane, Loa PDR was very successful. Participants agreed on SPF initiative and its applicability in the region. The ICSW South East Asia Pacific members from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei presented recommendations on Social Protection Floor to the meeting chaired by the representative of the Ministry Of Security of Loas PDR.
8th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Vulnerable Communities
The 8th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum was held in Cambodia in September 2013. The ICSW was represented by its Vice-President, Madam Khatijah Suleiman (President of Malaysian Council of Rehabilitation). The GO-NGO centered on vulnerable communities. Recommendations formulated during the Forum covered the implementation of the recommendations made in previous GO-NGO forums and charting new approaches. Acting as a co-convener ICSW brought together national member councils from the region and representatives of expert organisations.
The 7th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum on Social Services and Social Protection for Vulnerable Groups
The 7th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum for Social Welfare and Development was held in Hanoi in September 2012. It was organised by the ASEAN Secretariat and the Ministry of Social Protection in Hanoi. ICSW facilitated the attendance of civil society leaders from the twelve ASEAN member representatives—from Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam as well as Pacific members from Australia and New Zealand.
The declaration adopted by the ASEAN meeting closely aligned with the proposal from the GO-NGO Forum. This was the 7th GO-NGO Forum organised by ICSW and the ASEAN Secretariat. ICSW brought together national member councils of ICSW and representatives of expert organisations.
- International workshop - Human rights of older persons in the Asia Pacific region Focus on health and wellbeing Thiruvananthapuram, India, 4-6 June, 2012 (44 KB)
- Recommendations of the Sixth ASEAN GO-NGO Forum for social welfare and development "Establishment of the Social Protection Floor on Social Welfare and Development within ASEAN" September 2011, Bangkok, Thailand (56 KB)
- ASEAN Member Countries and the UN SPFI Mike Chai, Bangkok, Sept 2011 (192 KB)
- Evaluation form Results 6th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum (232 KB)
- Strengthening Family Institution: Caring For the Elderly - 5th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum Recommendations, 22 Nov 2010 (76 KB)
- Strengthening Family Institution: Caring For the Elderly - ASEAN GO-NGO Forum, Nov 2010 (744 KB)
- Strengthening Family Institution: Caring For the Elderly - 5th ASEAN GO-NGO Forum presentation, Mathiaparanam Brunei, Nov 2010 (772 KB)
- Ageing and vulnerability in ASEAN countries, Eduardo Klien, Brunei Darussalam, 22 November 2010 (1.7 MB)
- ASEAN GO-NGO Forum, Opening Address Michael Raper, Ha Noi, Vietnam, 3 December 2007 (43 KB)
- ASEAN GO-NGO Forum puts key issues on the agenda (31 KB)
- ASEAN GO-NGO Forum, Recommendations agreed at the GO-NGO Forum on Social Welfare and Development Ha Noi, Vietnam, 3 December 2007 (45 KB)
- ASEAN PEOPLES ASSEMBLY (APA) - "ASEAN at 40: Realising the people's expectations?" Michael Raper, Manila, October 2007 (167 KB)
- GO-NGO Forum Breaks New Ground - September 2006 (44 KB)
- ASEAN recommendations - September 2006 (45 KB)
- 4th SOMSWD Recommendations following GO-NGO Forum - September 2006 (33 KB)
Newsletters - 2018
Newsletters - 2015
Newsletters - 2014
Newsletters - 2012
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2012 - No 3 (716 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2012 - No 2 (264 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2012 - No 1 (576 KB)
Newsletters - 2011
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2011 - No 3 (208 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2011 - No 2 (560 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2011 - No 1 (1.2 MB)
Newsletters - 2010
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2010 - No 4 (148 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2010 - No 3 (92 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2010 - No 2 (96 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2010 - No 1 (768 KB)
Newsletters - 2009
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2009 - No 2 (108 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2009 - No 1 (88 KB)
Newsletters - 2008
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2008 - No 3 (94 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2008 - No 2 (65 KB)
- South East Asia and the Pacific Bulletin 2008 - No 1 (63 KB)
Previous South East Asia and the Pacific Newsletters
- CLOSING THE GAP: Making the Rights-Based Approach Real for PWDs in the ASEAN Region, December 2009 (292 KB)
- Global Financial Crisis and its Social Impact in the Countries in ASEAN - December 2009 (736 KB)
- CLOSING THE GAP: Making the Rights-Based Approach Real for People with Disabilities in the ASEAN Region
DANIEL STUBBS, ASEAN GO-NGO FORUM, Manila, December 2008 (396 KB)
- Social Protection in ASEAN - Issues and challenges for ASEAN and its member countries - May 2008 (325 KB)
- Trafficking and Related Labour Exploitation in the ASEAN Region ICSW, November 2007 (1867 KB)
- Annual Report SEAP - 2006 (40 KB)
- M Raper speech GO NGO FORUM - September 2006 (68 KB)
- Engaging with ASEA - June 2006 (1298 KB)
- Raper Fiji COSS speech - June 2006 (65 KB)
- ACOSS ADB budget training resource 95pp - August 2005 (624 KB)